Undergraduate Admissions

GW is among a select number of schools in the country that offers undergraduate programs for students seeking to enter the field of public health. The programs at the Milken Institute School of Public Health allow you to develop a broad understanding of global health issues while gaining the practical experience needed to launch your career. Public health undergraduates will develop experience and knowledge to improve the quality of life and make an impact in the field of public health. 

Undergraduate programs offered:

BS (Bachelor of Science)

Public Health 

Exercise Science - no concentration

Exercise Science - Pre-Medical concentration

Exercise Science - Pre-Dietetics concentration

Exercise Science - Pre-Athletic Training/Sport Medicine concentration

Exercise Science - Pre-Physical Therapy concentration

Joint Degree



Minor in Public Health

Minor in Exercise Science

Minor in Nutrition (NEW for 2014-2015)

How do you apply? 

To enter our Milken Institute School of Public Health programs, you must be admitted to an undergraduate program at GW. The process and timing of declaring a major at Milken Institute School of Public Health varies between the public health and exercise science programs.

Bachelor of Science in Public Health

All students seeking to enter the BS in Public Health degree must apply to the program during the semester prior to when they gain junior standing (60 credit hours) and hold a 3.0 GPA or higher. To apply to join the program, eligible students must submit a completed application by March 1st, please see the BS in Public Health program guide for application details and instructions.

Students applying to GW for freshman admission cannot be considered for the BS in Public Health at the time of their application. They should apply to GW as an undeclared major through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, then apply to join the public health major when they reach junior status.

Students transferring to GW from other universities that wish to enter the BS in Public Health must first apply for admission to GW through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. They may then complete the Internal Transfer Application process to be considered for the BS in Public Health during their first year at GW.

Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science

Students may enter the BS in Exercise Science as freshmen when they apply to GW through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Current GW students who wish to transfer to the BS in Exercise Science from another GW major should submit the Internal Transfer Application to the Department of Exercise Science.

Students from other universities who wish to transfer to GW's BS in Exercise Science program should apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Minor in Public Health

Students can apply to the minor in Public Health any time after having their first semester at GW.  Students must have a 2.8 GPA to become a minor. There is no admissions process – qualified students will be admitted to the minor on a space available basis.

Applications for the Minor in Public Health should be submitted to Program Advisor Candace Leake.  Applications may be emailed to cleake@email.gwu.edu or handed in to her on the 2nd floor of the public health building. 

Minor in Exercise Science

Students can apply at any time, either before or after being accepted to GW.